Dealing With The Stress at Christmas Time
Even though we enjoy the Christmas season with all the shopping, parties and get togethers with family it can become a very stressful time. If anyone has a complaint about the season it is "I get so tired".
After all we still have to make a living and take care of the family. Then we add Christmas shopping, gift wrapping, decorating and entertaining or attending parties. If you are doing the entertaining then their is more trips to the grocery, planning the meals and doing all the cooking. It is all a lot of fun but can really wear one down.
Here are a few ways to take some of the stress out of the Christmas holiday period:
- Plan ahead - Start planning earlier in the year for all the events and gifts.
- Make a Gift List - decide who your gift recipients are going to be. Try to keep it with you so you can check people off your list as you are out shopping during the year, or at least the latter months of the year. This also gives you the opportunity to pick up a nice gift that is a little outside the box from the traditional boring Christmas gifts.
- Shop Online - Take your list, get a good cup of coffee and sit down at your computer. You can mark a number of people off your list in a short time without even getting tired. Plus, when you are not rushed and under pressure you can look for bargains and make better selections.
- Keep Your List Updated - Write the name of your gift that you purchased next to the recipient on your list so you won't forget who you bought that item for and buy a second one for the same person.
- Get Your Decorations During The Off-Season - Purchase your decorations all during the year when you can get some good bargains, plus you will have this item taken care of and reduce what you have to do during the holiday season.
- Wrap Them As You Buy Them - If you are following the suggestion to shop all year long then also wrap them as you buy them when you have a little more time. Don't forget to put a recipient tag on them so you won't forget what is inside.
- Recipes - Decide what you want your menu to be this coming Christmas and locate those recipes early in the year. But, don't just collect them, try them out on the family during the year. Anything we do we always feel more comfortable doing it the second, third and fourth time. By Christmas preparing that item will be old hat and not near as stressful.
If you follow these tips then Christmas shopping and gift giving can be a pleasure and allow you to really enjoy the actual Christmas season.